Its taken me a year, but they’re finally done. I’ve wanted to cosplay Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2 for awhile. It took me forever to find the right fabric for her skirt but I finally did. It was shortly after that when I started her socks. instead of following a pattern, I made this one up as I went, as her socks were supposed to be all stockinette. That would be too much for me so I added a small cable on the outside of each sock.
The only guidance I needed and used was the leg increases. One of my favorite sock designers, Wendy Johnson, explained how she did it in her book Toe Up Socks For Everybody. Once I knew how, it was just a matter of working on them. Most of the time they sat on a backburner while I worked on other things. In April, I decided that I really wanted to get them done and pulled them out.
I panicked pretty badly when I thought I was going to run out of yarn, because the yarn I was using (KP Essential Kettle Dyed in Jay) was discontinued. Somehow, I managed to find enough, just enough, and finished them.
Ever since Rae found Pocket Thor and Pocket Loki, she’s been turning every character she can think of into mini amigurumi. High up on the list was Thorin and Company from the Hobbit. I, of course fell in love with the idea so had to follow her example. I’ve already made Thor and will eventually finish my Avengers set (I also need to buy the right green for the Hulk). Currently, the dwarves from the Hobbit are higher on my list of amis to do.
We’ve been using the pattern for Pocket Loki, just altering colors. The yarn used is KP’s Palette, which has endless color options so its the best fit. :)
After the dwarves (and Bilbo, Gandalf and Gollum), I think I’m going to do the Fellowship, followed by finishing up the Avengers and then at least make myself a Sherlock if not also a John Watson. The possibilities are endless~
I’ve never made many baby items before, I wanted to be able to know the baby that would receive them. When one of my cousins told me that she was pregnant, I got super excited because now I could make all the baby clothes I wanted! I’d already given her a baby blanket for her birthday last year while she was still trying. To be fair I could always just make the clothes and keep them in a box until someone needed them.
Pattern: Baby Sophisticate
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Strawberry
Needle: US 7 (4.5mm)
Now, I don’t actually know that my cousin is having a girl yet or not. Pink just happened to be the color that caught my eye and I decided to go for it.
I’ve wanted to do these socks for a long time – even before I bought the book. I saw them on Raverly and instantly fell in love with them. I’ve been making fair isle fingerless mitts for a couple years now but somehow, socks just seemed out of my reach. I tried a pair last year during Tour de Sock and was able to realize that no matter what the pattern said, if I used a US 2 (2.75mm) for the sections with 2 colors, they should fit, just as they do on my hands.
The first one does fit, which makes me super happy. Its a bit snug actually but I know it’ll stretch out as I wear it. Besides its not too tight, which is the point. I’m a huge fan of snug socks. I hate it when my sock slide down my legs.
Recently, I was commissioned to make a Miltank for a friend to give to a friend of his that was graduating. There wasn’t a pattern for Miltank but that didn’t mean I couldn’t make one. I’ve always been able to design a pokemon pretty easily if I make it with crochet. Once I made the first one, making pokemon just comes pretty easily to me. Sometimes, like this time, it takes a bit of figuring out but in the end it always turns out really well.
Pattern: Miltank Plushie
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Victorian Rose (mostly)
As there wasn’t a pattern for Miltank and I haven’t put mine on Raverly yet, the pattern link takes you to the project page. I’ll get around to posting the actual pattern eventually.
For a long time, ever since Rachel made her Pocket Thor and Pocket Loki, I’ve been wanting to make my own. I tried to make Loki with embroidery floss (bad idea!) but it didn’t work out so I had to wait until I had the money to buy the right colors in a fingering weight yarn. I went with Palette because a, it was what Rae used and b, it was pretty cheap.
Pattern: Pocket Thor
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette
The making of the pieces for Thor didn’t take me any time. I tend to procrastinate when it comes to assembling the pieces of an amigurumi. I really happy with how he came out though. The only thing I want to change at all is Mjolnir. I made a skelton for it but I didn’t attach the pieces of the skeleton before attaching the yarn so its a, uh, floppy hammer. I would like to redo it at some point but for now, it’s fine.
It’s been forever since I’ve written a blog post. I miss it. There were years when I wrote something everyday. Good ole LJ, right? Anyway. I’m going to at least try to get into the routine of writing a blog post twice a week about what I’m working on. This week it’s the shrug I’ve been working on for about two weeks now. I started it last Sunday in hopes that I’d have it done on the Saturday so I could wear it to a cosplay meet up. Yeah… turned out it was going to be 74 that day and I didn’t need a long sleeved shrug (originally I thought it was going to be 66) I’m still going to finish it and the back is almost done now.
The pattern I’m using is this one, the only thing I’m doing to modify it is knit the sleeves in the round instead of flat and the sew them together later. The shrug is going in my collection of knitted cosplay items. I have a white dress that I feel works perfectly for a casual Lichtenstein dress. In the Hetalia anime, she’s mostly seen wearing a red dress, hence the red shrug. Before Otakon, I want to make her another shrug, this time with half sleeves since it’ll be, y’know, August.